Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Energy Drinks, Teenagers’ Best Friend and Worst Enemy

It’s a hard fact to digest, but all of us needs to know the truth. Nobody will admit it, but everybody has encountered obstacles in this area. When Barack Obama was re-elected, his wife Michelle was hard at work already. Her ‘get healthy’ campaign was drawing attention, not only because she was the first-lady, but because she openly accepted that there were too many unhealthy kids in America and she said that drinking water was the way to combat this.

Ms. Obama focused on getting kids to drink more water instead of drinks like Monster, 100plus, Coke, etc, which are really popular drinks with teenagers. Water is what most people would consider lacking in nutrients, electrolytes and anything useful. But, the drink most people consider useful, like Aquarius, Monster, Red Bull are actually packed with lots of unhealthy sugars and are just plain adulterated.

Dr. Jennifer Bone, spokesperson for the Academy of General Dentistry writes, “Teens regularly come into my office with these types of symptoms but they don’t know why.” This reporter believes that this is because teens don’t know what they are drinking. On that topic, Dr. Bone remarked, “They don’t realise that something as seemingly harmless as a sports of energy drink can do a lot of damage to their teeth.” But why do teens drink these?

Dr. Esther Entin, of Brown University, writes that energy drinks are used by fatigued and tired kids as a stimulant product to increase alertness and combat fatigue. This reporter understands that the amount of caffeine found these energy drinks are jaw-dropping. To put into perspective, one 237 gram cup of coffee has 95 mg of caffeine, while a 545 gram can of Monster energy drink has 8,000 mg of caffeine.

Fear not, there is work being done to combat the unhealthy growth of the fastest growing beverage market in the U.S. The FDA, Food and Drug Administration, has issued bans on certain energy drinks in several states and has sent warning letters to manufacturers of these drinks. But this isn’t good enough for people like 18 year old Dakota Sailor. The high school senior suffered a seizure and was hospitalized for 5 days after drinking 2 cans of Nos energy drink, which is made by the Coca Cola company. His doctor thinks that this has to do with the amount of caffeine or caffeine like ingredients in these drinks. Dakota says, “I know some kids who drink 4 or 5 of them a day. That’s just dumb.” That’ll help you clean out your stomach, won’t it ?

I was 6 when I was offered a caffeine rich Coca Cola at a party. I was hooked after a glass, and soon I was having 1 and sometimes even 2 cans a day. This unhealthy obsession lasted until I was 10, when I watched a video sent by my father, in which Coke was used as a toilet cleaner. I have sworn of Coke since 8/6/11, my first day of my summer holidays. I have seen friends who love Coke end up with braces and dental fillings. I am glad I did not go down that path. As you, my reader sip your drink and finish up this article, I hope you will dump your drink down the sink of toilet, instead of chugging it down, as it sure as hell won’t brighten your teeth the way it brightens up that toilet.

By Adhwaith

1 comment:

  1. I was really shocked about the amount of caffeine that a single energy drink has...8,000 grams! Of course I agree that energy drink are bad, but I never realized how bad they were. I thought they were composed mostly of sugar. This makes me think about all the cokes I've had. I wonder which energy drink has the greatest/least amount of caffeine.
    Best Wishes,
    Hector,8th grade. ASFG, Mexico

    ReplyDelete