Thursday, October 9, 2014

The New iPhone Rip-Off

As I walked into the Apple store, it was like a whole new wave hit me. I walked around until I found something, something that would interest me... Something new. That something was in front of me the new iphone 6. Even though the new one came out only 1 year ago I wanted the new one. The craving was overwhelming, taking over me. Something pulling me towards it. As a smirk came up on my face I picked up the phone and clicked the button. It was larger than any other phone apple had released.

This is simply a tactic, A simple tactic used by every multinational company out there, to sell or show off their products, this is very simple. All they do is create something exactly the same except with a couple of new features and a new design. And sell it for 1000 dollars. And people fall for this everyday. Not one, but millions fall for this tactic. The Iphone 6 sold over 10 million phones in 1 week which is over 300 in a minute. Which also means that if 300 phones are sold, thats 300 phones gone into a landfill.

Apple is not the only company using this tactic to suck in billions of dollars but Samsung another company who does this in an ever bigger manner. They release 4 phones a year! 1 main phone, followed by a supporting phone for that main phone and then a budget phone which is followed by a Note a Phablet. This makes them very rich as there is a phone for everyone there. And it ranges for cheap to expensive which makes everyone wanting to buy a phone from them. When a person goes to buy a phone they never think that where their phone goes in the end.

I slowly asked the counter person on how much this phone would cost me. He told me an estimate of 1000 dollars, I had enough money to buy one but I would not be able to eat lunch for the next couple of weeks until I get my next pocket money. But I knew I would not get this chance again to be one of the first people in my school to buy an I phone 6! I did have an Iphone 5s but it was old now. It did not matter to anyone now. It was no longer the craze... I needed the new one.

Apple sold 10 million phones in 1 week which means 10 million phones were discarded. 10 million phones could fill up multiple football fields. The amount of waste we create by buying 1 new phone is 800 dollars straight into the dump just imagine 10 million, 800 dollars. That would equal to over 800 billion dollars. Enough to solve a lot of earths problems. But we chose to spend it on a phone which we may already have.

What if having the latest phone is not cool anymore? What if having the oldest phone was? This is only mental psychology. As a grade 8 student Jaiveer told this reported that “Having a new phone won’t make a difference unless you have the first iphone and you buy the iphone 5 or 6.”

If you just use your old phone and only get parts which are no longer functional, there would be less waste, which would lead to a greener and a brighter future in the world. Which could make many more generations who live on this planet have a bright life on this planet.

By Utsah

1 comment:

  1. I really liked that you bring up this issue, and I feel strongly about the fact that we discard so many phones. I feel that we should focus more on discarding only the parts that don't work and just replace it. Have you heard of phonebloks? they are a company that is focusing on making phones that work together like legos, and I like think that they are starting a new revolution in the world of phones, along with google's project Ara.

    ReplyDelete